SYNLAB specialises in providing end to end services for the diagnosis of Latent Tuberculosis Infection (LTBI) in accordance with UK government guidelines, and is experienced in carrying out a broad range of pathology services in support of clinical trials.
LTBI screening can help prevent the spread of Tuberculosis (TB), with early detection improving treatment outcomes. Screening days and individual test options available.
- 1 in 4 people worldwide estimated to have latent TB infection, 5-10% of which likely to develop active TB within 5 years if left untreated.*
- Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs) test supporting the NICE guidelines for TB screening.
- People with LTBI typically have no symptoms or physical findings suggestive of TB disease.
- Screening day project set up and management services, including provision of kits and phlebotomist.
SCREENING TEST FOR HIGH RISK POPULATIONS
High risk populations include those with weakened immune systems, in recent contact with TB infection, recent travel to countries / areas with TB outbreaks, live or work in high risk settings such as prisons, healthcare / nursing homes and shelters, as well as educational institutes. In addition:
- People in hard to reach groups.
- Anyone aged 5 years and older in an outbreak situation where a large number of contacts need to be tested.
- New NHS healthcare workers, if they have recently arrived from high incidence countries, or if they have had contact with patients in settings where TB is highly prevalent.
- Immunocompromised patients with HIV and CD4 counts < 500 cells/mm3.
- Immunocompromised patients with prolonged steroid use, use of TNF alpha antagonists or drugs used to prevent rejection of transplanted organs.
Contact Us to find out more about SYNLAB’s LTBI screening services.
* Source: World Health Organization