Launched in 2014, the Christie Pathology Partnership (CPP) is a joint venture between SYNLAB and The Christie NHS Foundation Trust. We operate from within on-site pathology laboratories and serve a population of more than 3.2 million.
The Christie Pathology Partnership delivers a high quality, responsive pathology diagnostic service to The Christie and other healthcare providers regionally and nationally. An international leader in research, The Christie is the largest single site specialist cancer centre in Europe.
Our laboratories also provide testing, screening and assay development to support The Christie’s early phase clinical trials, with around 200 trials underway at any one time.
Bringing Investment and Sharing Expertise
At SYNLAB, we led the reconfiguration of The Christie’s original laboratories to enable access to modernised facilities and equipment. We have invested in IT and blood sciences instrumentation and achieved efficiency and quality improvements, having introduced automation, new technology and standardised processes.
Our partnership benefits from the unrivalled expertise and knowledge of the Centre’s extensive team of consultants, many of whom are world-class specialists in their field. Similarly, the NHS benefits from access to specialist testing facilities and best practice across SYNLAB’s global laboratory network.
Undertaking more than 1 million tests each year, our range of testing services includes:
- Bereavement and Mortuary Services
- Breast Tumour Receptor Testing
- Blood Sciences (Biochemistry, Haematology, Blood Transfusion, Stem Cell Processing)
- Haematological Malignancy Diagnostic Services
- Oncology Cytogenetics
- Specialist Oncology Biochemistry
The Christie Pathology Partnership maintains a robust, integrated governance structure, with decision-making led by NHS clinicians. We use a comprehensive quality management system to ensure that all testing operations and reporting meet quality standards, accreditation and regulatory requirements and, ultimately, that services are safe and responsive to patient and clinical need.
Our laboratories at The Christie are UKAS-accredited against ISO15189 across tests listed in the our accreditation schedule, which can be found here.
CPP is also a CQC-regulated service and the latest inspection reports can be found on the CQC website as follows:
- The Christie Pathology Partnership LLP – Care Quality Commission (cqc.org.uk)
- GP – 1-1317580724 The Christie Pathology Partnership (21/12/2021) INS2-11476334611 (cqc.org.uk)
Histopathology and stem cell processing are also licenced by the Human Tissue Authority (HTA). As part of the transplant programme, our stem cell processing laboratory is accredited with the Joint Accreditation Committee IST-Europe and EBMT (JACIE), the only official accreditation body in the field of haematopoietic stem cell processing and cellular therapy.
Benefits Delivered by The Christie Pathology Partnership
- More than 1 million tests processed each year
- Provision of modernised laboratories and equipment
- Investment into new blood sciences equipment
- Upgrading IT systems to improve efficiency
- Clinicians now have access to an increased range of testing
- Access to SYNLAB’s global laboratory and diagnostic network, offering a wide range of clinical and operational expertise as well as research and development to help advance scientific and clinical practice in the UK
The Christie Pathology Partnership operate within Christie. If you would like to find out more, you can:
- use the contact form
The Christie Pathology Partnership
The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
The pathology partnership benefits from access to specialist testing facilities and best practices across the SYNLAB laboratory networkFiona Noden, Former Chief Operating Officer, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust